21/06/2007

Ravelry

First there was knitting....livened up by the exciting new yarns and patterns of the last few years.

Then came internet shopping that made so many more yarns easily available, followed by the huge on-line knitting communities and knitting blogs. And Bloglines to make it easier to keep up to date with favourite blogs. Then there was Etsy - more ways to buy hand spun, hand-dyes yarns. Followed by Flickr.... and now there's Ravelry.

I was so excited to receive my Ravelry invite three weeks ago but my holiday dial-up connection was too slow to allow me to do any more than just look. But I soon saw enough to realise what an amazing concept it is and how fantastic it is to be able to see what others are making in *this* yarn and what yarns are being used for *this* pattern. In fact, although I've been home for three days now, I've still only scratched the surface and am only very slowly loading in my projects.

The one downside I've found is that the time I spend browsing Ravelry has severely curtailed my knitting time!!

No comments: