15/07/2014

This and That

Raw sprouting seeds and fine slivers of raw vegetables in an interesting sauce seem to be enjoying a revival. This is last night's supper.

 

Purists probably wouldn't have had the salmon and sweet potato chips that we had with ours. Nor would they have followed it with these.

 

Very very dark and totally yummy and as the box says - rich and intensely chocolatey. We didn't eat them all and I didn't have a migraine.

In an earlier post I touched on Michael's health problems without being specific and feel I should say that he was treated for prostate cancer by having a radical prostatectomy last January and although not in the clear isn't having any further treatment until the situation is reviewed in September.

We are trying to have as normal a Summer as possible although it has not got off to a great start with my needing to have an urgent hernia repair delaying the start of our holiday by at least a week. New to me is the super glue used instead of stitches!

So instead of relaxing in France I am taking it easy with crafting while recovering from surgery last Friday.

I love making these squares! In fact I can't stop.

 

I won't bore you with anymore - I'll probably manage a few instagram pics.

I'm not sure if I said how much I had enjoyed Deborah Harkness's book "A Discovery of Witches", I'm not usually a vampire or witches kind of person but these other beings fitted very well into modern day Oxford, it was well written and very compelling.

For me the second in the series didn't have the same magic and I found it tedious. But eagerly awaited the third . "The Book of Life". So much so that I stayed up until midnight last night to buy and download it as soon as it became available.

Now it could be that it is too long since I read the first ones, or maybe I was too tired last night, but my first impression is one of massive confusion and disappointment. I shall have to re-read this first section and if I am still as muddled as now...well, I don't know. Abandon it probably.

 

I don't know why these magic loop, toe up,two at a time socks look so unsocklike. Hopefully the completed photo will be better.

 

 

And to end with, something I read in the Daily Telegraph a year or so ago said by the Queen after the twin towers "Grief is the price we pay for love"

 

No comments: